HELLO I'M NEW TO THE CHICKEN WORLD AND I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chad5430, Mar 5, 2015.

1. chad5430

chad5430 New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    HELLO MY NAME CHAD. I JUST GOT SEVERAL CHICKS FROM THE LOCAL FEED STORE HERE IN ALABAMA. I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL MAGAZINES THAT TALK ABOUT TRIMMING THE BEAKS ON THE CHICKS. I WAS WONDERING WHY YOU WOULD DO THAT AND SHOULD I? MY CHICKS WERE 5 WEEKS OLD TUES MARCH 3. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

No you do not need to do this nor should you. There is a blood vein inside the beak that if cut through can cause great pain. Give them plenty of space, lots of places to eat and drink so there is no competition, keep them proper and there will be little aggression.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on raising your babies and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators. Here is a link to raising your chick and the link to our learning center...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

3. zuluchicken

zuluchicken Out Of The Brooder

Hi Chad.

Welcome to the world of keeping chickens. It is great fun. DO NOT trim their beaks. There is no need for that, just leave them the way God had created them.

The members on this website are very helpful and the collective knowledge here are amazing. Remember the golden rule about raising chickens are "Keep it simple". Make sure that they have balanced food, water and safe warm housing and enjoy them. That is all that there is to it. The rest you deal with as it comes along.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Chad

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice from the above posters so I will just say good luck with your new chicks.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. CelestialChicks

CelestialChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    DO NOT TRIM THEIR BEAKS! As in NEVER. Good luck with the chickens, they are lovely! [​IMG]

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Glad you joined us.

You got very good advise from the other members!

Enjoy your flock!

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hopr you have a great time and learn A LOT!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

You do not need to trim their beaks, usually. Only commercial operations have any reason to do it. The only trimming that is occasionally neccesary is if the beaks become too long, or if the beak is crooked and disrupts the chicken's ability to eat correctly.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

The other posters have given you some good advice. Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by