Hello...I'm new to the flock ;)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TripMomma, Jan 27, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Hi guys! My name is Katrina, I'm in Oregon. We are about to get our first chicks this weekend. I have been thinking about getting into chickens for 2 years now, just kept getting scared off thinking they would be too much work or too hard to keep alive. I have been doing research, and now have 3 friends with chickens...who make it look like no big deal :)

We are just starting off with a mixed flock of 6. I have decided to get one each of...
    Ameraucana (supposedly the real deal and not an EE...I don't care either way)
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Salmon Faverolle
    Buff Brahma
    and a Barnevelder.

I am super excited to learn more here.
    Thanks!

2. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hello and welcome. This is the best website to learn from. It is also a nice place to connect with people who love chickens. Good luck , and if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you just want to share your chicken experiences with us, we are here for that too.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If your chicks are coming from a hatchery (with the exception of Meyer which does breed true Blue Ameraucanas) they will be Easter Eggers. There's certainly nothing wrong with EEs. Our EEs are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with in getting your chicks.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Katrina
    Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your chicks that you are getting :celebrate
    The learning centre is a great place to start for your new chicken adventure. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

It has some great articles on raising chicks. Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you can post some pics of your new babies!! Enjoy BYC and ask as many questions as you need to :frow

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! You have picked some lovely breeds, enjoy!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

It sounds like you'll be getting some excellent breeds! I have one Silver Laced Wyandotte, and have really enjoyed her. My Wyandottes have been very good layers and extremely docile and entertaining. Good luck with your future flock!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

9. TripMomma