Hello I'm new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MyChickenNameTurkey, Sep 5, 2009.

1. MyChickenNameTurkey

MyChickenNameTurkey New Egg

Sep 5, 2009
    Tennessee
    Hey everyone I'm a single chicken owner name Christina. My hen's name is Turkey. She is a 6 month old Feather footed Buff Brahma Bantam. And she just started laying eggs this week. She's up to 5. Can anyone tell me how many eggs typically will a hen lay in her first hatching season? When do they typically start laying, and when do they stop?

I keep Turkey inside. I read that with Bantams that is fine. She is in a large 3 ft high by 3 foot wide by 4 foot long cage. She has a hatching box (she's laid all her eggs in) and I have put a shelf in there she likes to jump up on.. I keep her drinking water on it with her "treat" food dish. I also put a 4ft long 3" in diameter branch she loves to sit and sleep on. Still using newspaper for the bottom of the cage. She's a great eater and drinks well. Her hatch box is 12x12 box with 2 openings. I don't know about your chickens but mine loves to play with toys to include small stuffed animals LOL. I've had her since she was 3 days old. I will be putting a picture of her on here momentarily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Christina

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

My hen's name is Turkey

Now that is just too funny. Way to go. [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me how many eggs typically will a hen lay in her first hatching season? When do they typically start laying, and when do they stop?

First year I would think about 5-6 per week. They may take time off d/t darkness (winter), weather (heat), and molting.

Most chickens start laying about 5-6 months, but that too can vary much.

They slow down egg production usually about 1- 1/2 to 2 years old, but can lay throughout their lives.

Imp​

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] from Lutz,FL

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] from So California. It sounds like you have quite the set up for Turkey. When you can, we are always looking for pictures. Glad you found us.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

~*~*~WeLcoMe~*~*~ from SW VA!

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    A big welcome from Ohio

9. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    [​IMG]

It sounds like your girl has a wonderful life, great spot, and is happy - congratulations, and nicetameetcha!

[​IMG]

10. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Sounds like a great pet.
    Welcome!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by