Hello, I'm raising Salmon Favs in Northern Virginia

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mochilee, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mochilee

mochilee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Goldvein, Virginia
    Hello from Virginia!
    This is the third year we've raised favs; my daughter showed them at last years county fair and even she (the non chicken person) decided she liked them.
    We only know a few of the desirable show characteristics. I know our rooster has too many blades to his comb. I have hatched out 10 roosters so far and the only one with under 6 blades has a crossed beak! so obviously there's work to do there.
    We only kept 5 hens and a rooster last year and they started laying before the other first timers and kept on all through the winter, but then in March they were ready to brood. One has hatched her chicks, two are setting still. This is in addition to what I've hatched out of the incubator! My daughter wants to show again this year so I'm trying for some pretty hens, but there sure are a lot of roosters. The judge last year commented that my birds are rather small and I'm wondering if they have some bantam in their lines. Their eggs have never been as big as the other brown egg layers' eggs. (The original birds came from Ideal Hatchery in TX).
    I looked at the Peter Merlin link. I had no idea there were so many colors. But maybe they aren't all recognized? Or in the U.S.?
    In any case, they are interesting birds!

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Faverolles are one of my favorite breeds. Hope you get a good roo with the correct comb. [​IMG]

3. mochilee

Feb 22, 2012
    Goldvein, Virginia
    Unfortunately the chicken guy I knew is retiring and has no more. And even worse, last year I sold the better rooster, I think. Well, part of the adventure. My sons used to do poultry showing but I'm not a competitor myself; I just like raising chickens.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
  5. mochilee

Feb 22, 2012
    Goldvein, Virginia
    Thanks, I will!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by