Hello! I'm still new to keeping chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MerWhite, May 17, 2016.

1. MerWhite

MerWhite New Egg

May 17, 2016
    Greenback TN
    I seem to be having bad luck with my chickens & need some suggestions. I got 7 from Tractor Supply 1 month ago. One didn't make it through the 1st night. The other 6 were happy and healthy, until an outdoor critter got 3 of them. Problem solved, they are safe in the coop, now. We got 3 new babies 1 week ago, and 1 died that night, the 2nd the next day. Respiratoy problems. I began giving all of them Duramycin-10. The 3rd is a strong girl! She has done well. I have been keeping the baby in the kitchen brooder, but the 3 outside have been around her a little. Now, one of the bigger ones outside is sneezing and wheezing. That one is approximately 5 or 6 weeks old. I'm still giving them Duramycin-10, though I did skip yesterday. I think I made a mistake. Any suggestions? No more loss. It's breaking my heart.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - sorry for you losses. As someone who has experienced respiratory illnesses in a flock, i would personally cull all of them and begin again. Some respiratory issues can remain dormant in a chicken, i.e. it is a carrier for life and could spread the illness to any other new flock members. What you could end up with is a "closed flock", where you cannot sell / give your birds away to other chicken keepers, and accept that any new flock members are likely to become infected. Frankly, its not worth it IMO. Please don't be offended at my suggestion - i wish I'd culled my flock and started again.

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    CTken brings up very good points.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. MerWhite

MerWhite New Egg

May 17, 2016
    Greenback TN
    No offense taken CTKen. They are just pets. I have already grown so attached to them. [​IMG] I am not bringing in any new chickens, just medicating and hoping for the best at this point. I cannot help but be angry with the man that sold me the sick ones. The older ones were really thriving before they were exposed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by