Hello, I'm Travis

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tsulisky, Jan 2, 2017.

1. tsulisky

tsulisky New Egg

Jan 1, 2017
    Hi,I'm new to BYC . I have a question, I was given some young chickens was laying before I got them, I've had a week, but no eggs yet . What could be the problem?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] There are several factors that caused them to stop laying. First of all chickens hate change the move to a new environment with a possible change in feed is the major factor in causing them to stop laying. Short day length decreases egg production - once the day length increases they will start to lay again.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us Travis! You have been given some great advice by @sourland so I'll just say thanks for joining us and best wishes!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with sour that the change could have upset them and caused the egg laying to stop. The shorter days sure does have an affect also, right now my egg count is pretty low.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chickens. Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. tsulisky

tsulisky New Egg

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks for the advice.I'm glad to be part of the flock

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Travis [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations on your new feathered friends. I agree with the others; give them time to settle and they should start laying for you, especially when the daylight hours increase.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Welcome to BYC from Maine, Travis!:welcome

Defiantly X2 on what Sour said.Stress.Hope your little ones lay soon.
    Best wishes to you and Yours.

1 person likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Travis, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  10. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, Travis! Enjoy your time here and be sure to make yourself comfortable :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by