Hello, is there a chicken detective in the house?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dancing egg, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dancing egg

dancing egg New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Hello, I'm new here. Can you guys help me identify this cheeky chicken? Is she a silver sussex? I've been told she's a Maran, but she doesn't really look like the images I've seen of marans... she lays medium-dark brown eggs, sometimes with small speckles. Many thanks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    zombie chicken!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Where did you get her from? She looks like a barnyard mix to me. Maybe a Sussex mix as her legs appear to be white. If she were Sussex, her egg would be light brown in color. Here is a pic of my barnyard mix hen. Dad is SS, mom is austrolorp.
    [​IMG]

3. [​IMG] Glad to have you join our flock!

Yes, it looks like you have a mixed breed. One of the parents probably had a barred color pattern, so she might be half Cuckoo Marans.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a pretty mix to me.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a mixed breed to me, too.

6. dancing egg

dancing egg New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    thanks everyone, after looking into it a bit more, i think she might be a speckeldy?
    i found this pic on a website. what do you think?

[​IMG]

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I don't think it is, but maybe. The speckledy is a cross between RIR and French Marans. You said she lays a dark egg. Will the color wash off the egg? This is a characteristic of the FM eggs.

8. Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancing egg [​IMG]

thanks everyone, after looking into it a bit more, i think she might be a speckeldy?
    i found this pic on a website. what do you think?

[​IMG]

That looks close, but your hen doesn't have feathered legs like the one in this photo.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Speckeldy's are pretty much a U.K. bird, I thought. I agree she's most likely a mix with cuckoo Marans ancestry. This patterning is common in a hen with barred or cuckoo parentage.

10. Graciesing2us

Graciesing2us Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    Hi, sorry i can't help you out immediatly but i'm getting 2 speckaldys at the weekend. They are only chivks but i could post a photo when they get older if you havn't solved the mystery by then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by