Hello. Just started raising my first Aracauna's in Maine.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by combatfuzzball, Mar 11, 2017.

1. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Just got a batch of Americauna's from online from Tractor Supply. I am a little worried about there being Easter Eggers as the name was misspelled as Americana. I have noticed that many of them have Cheek tufts and beards. I'd be interested in chatting with any other Americauna, or Aracauna chickens.
    I'll be raising these chicks mostly for the eggs as well as trying to work on breeding for nice colored eggs.
    Currently have 8 straight run chicks and anxious to find out how many Cockerels and Pullets I have. I am guessing 3 cockerels and 3 pullets based mostly on how fast wing feathers are coming in.
    Would be interested in possibly selling or trading any excess roo's if I have more than 3. Also interested in Marans and Salmon Faverolle chickens.
    Pj

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, combatfuzzball, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! There is always a lot of confusion about what the differences between Americanas/Americaunas/Aracaunas/EEs. If you got them from Tractor Supply I will bet they are EEs.
    From my limited understanding: Americanas are not a thing - just a misspelling. Aracaunas are recognized breed. Americaunas are also a recognized variety, while EE's are non-standard colors of Americaunas. I hope I am correct on this but will gladly be educated if I am not.
    You can chat with other keepers of the _____________ (fill-in-the-blank) by locating their threads in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/general-breed-discussions-faq
    And if you want to chat with other Maine chicken folks, find your state here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Coming from TSC they are EE - but the good news is that if what you are looking for is pretty blue/green eggs you will likely be more pleased with these birds than with thue bred Ameraucana as the EE tend to be more prolific layers due to the production lines in the cross-breeding.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under combatfuzzball [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with the others that coming from TSC, you have EE. They are wonderful birds though and will lay pretty eggs. Hope you enjoy them!

8. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Thanks for the welcome. Pretty sure most are not full blooded Americauna's all but 1 have yellow with a hint of grey in their legs which if I've read right a true Americauna has grey or black legs. Although all but one are already showing pronounced cheek tufts I have a bit of hope for the smallest one of the bunch. It has dark grey legs is tailed and showing tuft already. It also is a smokey grey color. Not going to be a snob over their being EE's rather than true Americauna's which I'd ordered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by