hello...lurker turned member due to a very sad day...

fatcatboutique

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Richmond, VA
I just had a chick pass away in my hand and I am beside myself. I tried SO hard to get her to live. I got 4 chicks from a family farm about a week and a half ago, and the two more from a swap at a local feed store last Saturday. One of the feed store swap chicks was sick with Cocci. I took her to the vet, they put her on meds and gave me meds for the others to take. Thank goodness none of the others are showing signs! The sick one (Nikki was her name, she was a Leghorn), seemed to perk up mid week, gave me so much hope! then today, she would not wake up, would not eat...I was giving her water with a dropper but that was all I could get into her. she just passed away in my hand about 45 minutes ago...I am so freaking sad! I love all my animals and feel like I failed her! So I joined BYC, simply because I feel there are some kindred souls here that might know what I am going through...I love all the info I get from reading these forums, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge!

I too lost chicks in the beginning due to cocci and I know that feeling of having failed the babies. In the beginning I tried a natural route but now feel more secure using a medicated feed (amprollium). Since switching, we have not lost a chick (out of about 40 brooded in the last year). You can only do your best though and the fact that you feel so bad means you care a lot and that's a wonderful thing!

Welcome to BYC. Sorry you lost Nikki, you did your best to help her. Cocci can be a quick killer and requires immediate treatment. I recommend that if you purchase chicks in the future, purchase them ALL from one source. Mixing birds from different places is not a good thing. Consider reading up on poultry biosecurity. Good luck.
Here's a link for you regarding biosecurity:
www.backyardchickens.com/t/70782/biosecurity

Last edited:
I just had a chick pass away in my hand and I am beside myself. I tried SO hard to get her to live. I got 4 chicks from a family farm about a week and a half ago, and the two more from a swap at a local feed store last Saturday. One of the feed store swap chicks was sick with Cocci. I took her to the vet, they put her on meds and gave me meds for the others to take. Thank goodness none of the others are showing signs! The sick one (Nikki was her name, she was a Leghorn), seemed to perk up mid week, gave me so much hope! then today, she would not wake up, would not eat...I was giving her water with a dropper but that was all I could get into her. she just passed away in my hand about 45 minutes ago...I am so freaking sad! I love all my animals and feel like I failed her! So I joined BYC, simply because I feel there are some kindred souls here that might know what I am going through...I love all the info I get from reading these forums, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge!

I'm sorry for your loss. I just lost a chick a few hours ago and I'm heartbroken too :( I empathise with you completely. I hope you feel better soon! You did your best for the little hen.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your chick. Cocci is devastating to chicks in the brooder. I know how hard it is to lose these precious babies. I hope your heavy heart can heal soon.
hugs.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about Nicki, it is hard to lose the little ones. You did your best for her and I am sure she knows you were taking care of her. Cocci is so hard on the babies.

Thank you, everyone. I am still sad, but realize that it was probably for the best and she is no longer suffering. I now know what to look for and will be keeping an eagle eye on the rest of my flock. Now that Nikki is gone, we have five (hopefully) hens. one each of a Buff Orpington, Silkie, Brahma, Ameraucana, and Leghorn..

Aww, sorry for the loss. I'm glad you posted this because I have a baby chick not doing well, and I have been giving medicated feed and I'm glad I am after reading this.

Back
Top Bottom