Hello! Meet my flock!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BarredRockMommy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. BarredRockMommy

BarredRockMommy Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry about the lighting, its about to rain and I wanted a picture of them together.

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this forum, and have a lot of questions. I currently have 5 chickens(with names tongue.png) I have a Barred rock, an Easter egger, A silkie, An Australorp(I think), and a Lakenvelder(I think). The last two I'm not 100% sure they are that specific breed, but their close to it. Hope you have a great day!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BarredRockMommy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! You said you had lots of questions. I think you are right on on the breeds you have. It does seem like there is more white than I am used to seeing in the black neck feathers of the Lakenvelder, but maybe the one I have is just blacker??
    You have a handsome flock!! But if you have more questions of a general nature, the Learning Center is an awesome resource. Dozens of articles spanning the range of poultry keeping!
    Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And for more breed ID opinions you can post the pic here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    Aside from that, you have a great day as well and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. BarredRockMommy

Mar 6, 2017
    Its a pleasure to meet you. Thank you I am fairly new to chickens, I just got them about a year ago, come May. My Lakenvelder, is pretty white compared to her brother and sisters. Their necks are fairly black not "speckled". So I think she is the odd one.

4. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hello Welcome!!
    I recommend trimming your silkies crown so she can see and protect herself .there is a great u tube video where she shows how to do it , my silkies are only with silkies but I still trim them every few months .

Nice colourful flock , glad you're having fun[​IMG]

5. BarredRockMommy

Mar 6, 2017
    @snow5164

We do too, but she went bald. I posted it in the predaters and pest forum. Could you check it out?

6. BarredRockMommy

Mar 6, 2017
    Oh my silkie is the boss of all the other chickens, well 2nd in command. My Australorp is boss! When we let them out to play and we aren't giving her attention. She will peck all the chickens until we pet her and give her more lovings than the rest. So one of us always gives her all the attention, and then trade out every 5 minutes.

7. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada

I can't find it... I only trim the sides and anything that blocks them looking up

8. BarredRockMommy

Mar 6, 2017
  9. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Oh wow , sorry that's awful. Is the skin healthy ? Or injured? She could be getting pecked at. How short did you trim her? Was it right afterwards?
    We started with silkies with our Icelandics, lots of screaming and hiding . We added on a 5x5 foot room just for silkies. I honestly think they would have been killed .

10. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    you should search this, others have had this problem

[​IMG]Y

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by