Hello my poultry friends; I am a new member.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shah, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Shah

Shah Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Hello my poultry friends. I just joined this forum because every time I had a poultry question/problem I got the answer by reading your discussions on this site. I am Shah from Maryland. I live on 8.5 acres of land with a 3/4 acre natural pond and a fast creek running through it. My property may be the perfect property for geese and duck. I have two male Embden geese, I just purchased 12 Pekin ducks, 3 Guinea fowls and two white racing pigeons. I also have about 50-60 resident Canadian geese coming and going. Last but not the least, I have three grown children and a wife. Other things that I enjoy are, playing my instrument, gardening and going to poultry shows and markets and talk and laugh chickens. I have my own funny ideas of what's a good rooster but we will talk about that later. I teach mathematics for a living but I am fortunate to be handy; I do almost all of my own work in my house except the roof because I am afraid of height. My interest in poultry goes a long way when I was a child. We were very poor and I never forget how important those eggs were in our lives. Those poor birds had to find their own food in desert with no grass. Once in a while we gave our chicken some wheat.
    I notice feed is expensive when you feed many birds so I am thinking of taking my duck and geese hobby serious enough to at least make enough money to feed my birds. I have looked at craigslist. There seems to be a big shortage of Embden geese and Pekin locally but almost too many Muscovy ducks. I welcome any ideas and experiences you may have on raising and selling ducks/geese. Thank you

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Hello [​IMG] Shah and [​IMG] glad to have ya here [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What did you say water alright [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pond sounds great [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay let me finish this and I will be right there [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in your poultry endeavor.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the Canadian Geese that never seem to migrate, aren't depleting the feed for your geese/ducks. Also I worry about them spreading disease and parasites. So many areas, schools, golf courses, shopping areas are just littered by them leaving their calling cards all over. Out here they call them "flying outhouses,.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by