Hello! Need a few questions answered.

bigdaddyz

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Great falls MT
I moved back to MT after a 16 year period in CO. Bought 4 chicks and am more nervous then I was when my sons were born. Anyhow, I've dealt with the chicks pasty butts and think I got my little ones happy and healthy. I was going to convert one half of my horse barn into a coop, it is dry with windows and secure from predators. Is there a reason most coops are raised off the ground? I plan on making a large run with access to compost pile, I just haven't seen any coop plans that are on the ground level.

welcome-byc.gif
Some people like an elevated coop so the space underneath could be used as a small run, when the weather is too bad to have them free range. Others have them UP in hopes of discouraging predators like rats - that would love to chew the toes, etc. off any bird then can reach.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I think if you look through the coops section you will find others who have repurposed outbuildings for their coops. If you have horses in the barn too, keep in mind that chickens are very dusty.

Redsoxs,
Is that a bird dog on your picture? I also have two hunting dogs which I'm worried about cohabitation. Anyone have experience with this ?

Yes, he is a 110 pound chocolate lab named Churchill. He absolutely loves chickens! When he's in the house and a chicken makes an alarm call he is at door whining - ready to take on anything. He's killed a couple of raccoons, some possums, and even a coyote. He has also chased hawks that have swooped the hens. I also have a golden retriever. He isn't the protector that Churchill is but he also simply ignores them. I introduced them to baby chicks and since the chicks grew up the dogs they just seem to accept them.

Back
Top Bottom