Hello... need advice zoning question in Fort Myers, Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sarasangermano, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sarasangermano

sarasangermano New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi all.... I have looked and looked in the muni codes and can't find a thing allowing or disallowing the keeping of backyard chickens... I live outside the city limits so only the county laws will affect me... anyone who lives in Lee County Florida have any advice???

Thanks!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am brand new to chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 0

(3) What breeds do you have? 0

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? gardening, reading

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share
    I am married with a tolerant hubbie, two kids, a dog and a cat. I work in sales but would love to have a little farm someday.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. It looks like you are in one of the grey areas. Sorry I can't help, but If it were me, I would ask the neighbors and if they don't care, go ahead and get them. [​IMG]

3. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Wish I could help specifically - I used to live in Fort Myers but we didn't have chickens then. But if you have close neighbors - I'd make sure that you don't have a rooster, keep the hens fenced in some manner (ours are in the backyard with a 6' privacy fence and we have no issues), keep it clean and share your eggs!
    Also - if you are in a gated community or that sort of neighborhood, and I know there's a ton of them there, be sure there's no regulations against them in the covenants or your HOA. This is a big one for a lot of people.
    Where we live now, I contacted the city and it turns out that our Solid Waste department handles people with chickens. They come out and make sure the living conditions are good and the hens are cared for. We're not allowed roosters due to noise. I'd make a call to the county and find out if there are any regulations before you get them - that way you can be sure to stay within the letter of the law - but there's enough rural land still there - I'd be surprised if it wasn't allowed.
    We used to live in Edison Park, left about 5 years ago.
    One more tip - if you like to garden and you have chickens - invest in fencing or you will have no more garden. This is from experience this last year - they are voracious little buggers!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida, to another Floridian! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] Best of luck to you on your chickeneering!

7. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I cant answer your zoning question, but I agree with everyone else that said to check with neighbors, no roosters & share the eggs!

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana [​IMG]

9. sarasangermano

sarasangermano New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    WOW! Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and replies.... I know a few of my neighbors will be happy to have eggs and a fresh chicken now and then. Thanks to all!! <3

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the chicken forum, lots of good people here and topics for every whimsy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by