Hello - New Chick family here.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JReedy72, Mar 26, 2009.

1. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    okay, we have had our chicks for about 4 weeks now (6 of them - Rhode Island Reds)...they are kept in a large plastic tub, using pine shavings as bedding. They seem pretty happy and healthy. I have seen where we are supposed to play with and handle them for them to get used to us. I try and handle them daily, but they always freak out whenever we get to close to the tub. Any suggestions so they will be friendly when they get older?

BTW - I am building a coop that is 4' x 4' and 36" off the ground. The run will be 12' x 4' including the room under the coop. I hope it is a good one. I am new to this as of today, and will try and post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that. I also am looking forward to completing the coop and getting them in it. They are very well along in getting their feathers!!

Jason

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] from CT [​IMG]

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    We have handled our chicks from day one and they are very friendly but anytime something comes at them from above they automatically assume that it's a preditor. Go ahead and take them out and they will calm down as soon as they realize that your not gonna hurt them. Also hold them close to your chest so they can feel your heartbeat. I learned that raising cockatels years ago. It seem to help with the chickens also. Good Luck and get busy loving on those chicks.
    O Yea.... Welcome to BYC... home of the chicken addicts of the world.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    :)Welcome! I find that making the chicks take a treat from your fingers goes a long way to making you quite popular. My girls especially like blackened avocados and bread. When reaching in with the goodies say something like chick-chick-chick-chik! They'll know your voice and you'll be the food person.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Another Welcome from Washington -

I'm new as well. My girls are 5 wks today. I have handled mine from the day I got them. Some like it some don't.

At age 3 wks, I gave them their first snack of meal worms and grit. After that, most of them LOVE me - giving them worms. They started flying out as soon as I took the top off their stock tank brooder. They fly out onto my lap, back, arms to see what I got.

Two nights ago, I fed tiny bits of scrambled egg. They loved that as much as the worms.

Enjoy your chicks and post lots of pics.

6. Rooster8402

Rooster8402 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    welcome from western ma I'm new too I have 26 girls that are going to be 3 weeks old on monday

7. deryl reed

deryl reed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    well I have 300 rir chickes 3 weeks old fri I started with a few the I thought why not sell eggs so I started to hatch them out now i just buy them from central hatchery for a $1.oo each there is a place down the road from me that has 16thousand chickens but they buy ready to lay keep only 80 weeks then get rid of the just telling how i was bit by the bug or was it a chicken

8. d_cat88

d_cat88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Amarillo, Texas
    [​IMG] I put a little oatmeal in my hand and hold it out and now they come and jump on my hand looking for treats.

9. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Before you reach the brooder call to them. Then they will hear your voice and not be so startled to see a face looking in over the edge of the brooder. When you do appear, bring them something really yummy and they will quickly associate your voice with a treat on the way. Instead of running away they will all be alert to see you. My friends always love watching my chickens follow me out in the yard, because they know my presence means wonderful things are coming their way(bananas are my girls favorite snack of all time).

10. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Defiantely always make sure you talk to them. My little runt Leghorn hears my voice now and comes running and looks up even though it's only been about a week [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by