Hello! New chicken family here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jonross, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jonross

jonross Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi. We're on the west side of Los Angeles and we're super excited/in love with our new chickens. With my 6-year old daughter's blessing, I converted her rather large play structure into a chicken coop. We have two Australorp/Orpington hybrids, 1 pure Black Australorp, 2 Red Star Sex Links, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock and 1 mystery chick that was incubated and hatched in my daughter's first grade class. (One reason I'm posting here is so I can get out of the newbie phase and post a picture of her (hopefully a her!) so someone can tell us what the heck she is.

And I guess as long as I'm here ... I'm assuming since the floor of my coop is dirt (there's actually still a bunch of grass) I don't need the kind of many-inches-thick layer of pine shavings at the bottom of their coop, do I? Right now it's just sprinkled in there and I was thinking I would just sprinkle more on as needed, maybe every week or so, and then rake the whole thing out, I don't know, once every three months? Does that sound right?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You might consider putting sand on your dirt floor. It'll keep insect and parasite population down, easier to rake debris and poop, absorbs water. My pen is all sand, I shouldve done it years ago. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy your new hobby. [​IMG]

5. hcppam

Hi, So cal, go to the chickens 101 page to get started...any question you have like bedding, you can type in the search and get a ton of info. is your coop enclosed in LA, skunks and possums will cause havoc. I'm 2 hours east of you. have fun. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    hello from Oklahoma! [​IMG]

7. hcppam

dawg53 is right, i read one of his posts and went to sand great! [​IMG]

8. jonross

jonross Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
  9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. As far as breed not sure, does it have feathers on it's feet? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by