Hello!! New chicken mom!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MissDaphne, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MissDaphne

MissDaphne Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Va
    Hi,
    I'm a mom to 23 chickens 1 Cockerel and 22 pullets (2 still in the incubator). 1 golden laced bantam Cochin roo named Little 'Roo', 1 silver laced and 1 golden laced Wyandottes Darby and Diana, 6 Red Sex Links Summer, Susie, Rachel, Rosie, Cutie and Chloe, splash Ameraucana named Heather, wheaten Ameraucana named Poppy, blue wheaten Ameraucana named Holly, Black Copper Maran named Lilly, black Polish named Dixie, standard blue Cochin named Liberty, 6 Silkies buff Clementine, splash Pepper, blue 'Pom Pom' Pomegranate, partridge 'Star'Fruit, 2 white that are in the incubator Kiwi and Papaya, 2 buff Orpingtons Daphne and 'BB' Baby Buff. Will have to wait and see who of my Silkies will be boys, hoping only one will be roo who I will keep. 4 are at a friends house, 6 are still in the house and 1 in a pen with two chicks that are for sale and the rest are in their 18x12 coop/old shed and 10x20 run that will be divided into two coops and runs. My Silkies, Orpingtons, Cochins and Polish will have a 8x12 coop and 10x10 run with room to grow, will also be added another coop/house in with the Silkies for winter, the Ameraucanas, Black Copper Maran, Red Sex Links, Wyandottes and bantam Cochin roo will have 10x12 coop and 10x10 run. My chickens spend 80% of their time in the coop that has a dirt floor and LOTS of roosting places. And small kiddie pools one for dust baths. Also plan on adding another coop and run for my Olive Eggers (coming from my Ameraucanas when the time comes to bred them). I love being a chicken mom and can't wait to start getting eggs and breeding. I plan on breeding my blue Cochin to my golden laced Cochin roo. Also plan on breeding my Ameraucanas and Maran to my friends Black Copper Maran roo and possibly my Silkies to my Cochin roo. When first started talking about getting chickens the plan was 6 hens. Not!! Open to advice and suggestions. I want what is best for my babies!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, chicken math really kicked in at your place! You have a lovely flock! Lots of birds that I am sure love you very much. Sounds like you care for them quite well. I hope they continue to bring you great joy.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, MissDaphne! Glad you decided to join our flock. That's quite a sizable flock you have. Very few BYC members are immune to chicken math. I love the names you've given your birds. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Alright [​IMG] so are you finding everything you need and if you ever need help or advice al you need to do is say something [​IMG]

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging 7 Years

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: