Hello. New guy, new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chic Rustler, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Hello all. Im pretty new to chickens, and everything else to do with homesteading, just making a go of it and learning as i go. So far i have learned from a few mistakes.

I have a 40x40 coop that shares a large gate with my 40x40 garden. I fenced it all with 4 foot welded wire (first mistake) then i rose it to ten foot with emt conduit and deer netting. I started with 10 red sex link hens, then got 2 roosters. One black maran amd one black copper maran. I lost two hens. One killed by a dog (learned to wrap the fence with a electronic fence wire and use a shock collar) and one hen died of unknown cause.
    Today i picked up 6 two month old bantam cornish, 5 pullets and a rooster. I found that they can get threw the 2x4 wire if they want ao thats gonna be the next project.

I got a cheap incubator from a craigslist add. Its a foam one without a turner, thermometer and the crappiest thermostat in the world. Got a few eggs in there right now. Finally got it to maintain 101-102°f. We will see how that works. So far i wish i had ponied up for a better one. Lol

Lets see, i also have a few rabbits (dont know anything about them either but im learning) that are about to kindle....i think. I havent started the garden yet because i want the chickens to do most of the work. I have 5 kids to keep all the critters fed and a wife to keep me from buying too many more animals.

Any advice for a newb is much appreciated

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chic Rustler, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like through a little trial and error you are getting things fine tuned. One word of advice is that you might be careful bringing on new birds - you could introduce parasites or diseases to your established birds. Take a tour of the Learning Center - it is packed with great articles covering all aspects of chicken raising - including quarantining: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And if you'd like to chat with local poultry folks, locate the TX thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

3. Chic Rustler

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the welcome. I will definitely do some more reading here.
    I made a typo on the last post. I only have 4 kids. Lol

Well i just (this minute) successfully got a hen that was egg bound to pass an egg. Thanks to google, this forum and some good ole vasoline. Although its not an experience i will look back on fondly, im glad i didnt loose another bird.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Chic Rustler [​IMG] Welcome!

Wow, you sure do have your hands full! Congrats on the egg bound save and the additional child [​IMG] LOL

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good for you. You must be a quick study. Next time you can use some human "KY jelly" instead of Vaseline. Vaseline is not water soluble so clogs things up. KY will wash away easily.

Welcome to Backyard yard chickens New Guy. Before you know it you will be addicted to chickens and BYC, and considered the "Old Guy."

6. Chic Rustler

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the tip.....but i hope i dont have to do it again.

7. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I think the lessons we learn the best are through trial and error...you're doing ok, it sounds to me. Make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions.

P.S. About the rabbits, when you see a doe start pulling out her fur and piling it up, she's making a nest in preparation for babies. She'll appreciate a nesting box where she can keep them snug. There are quite a few rabbit-keepers here on BYC, you'll find them under Other Pets & Livestock.

Good luck!

8. Chic Rustler

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks. One is already pulling fur, but they aren't due for jest boxes til the 18th.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

10. Chic Rustler

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the warm welcome and taking the time to help me out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by