1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello! New here from South Central Missouri!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amgreen1980, May 1, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    I thought I would post a quick introduction here [​IMG] I am Angie, a stay at home mom of 4 (11, 9, 6, 3). We have just begun our second-first LOL journey with chickens! About 4 years ago, we brought home 2 chicks that my daughter hatched in class. We fell in love with the little ones, but before we could get a permanent home built we realized that they were meat chickens ( cornish cross?? maybe) and ended up butchering them at about 8 weeks old. The rooster took a strong dislike to dh and he was NOT impressed!

Anyway, I have wanted chickens ever since, but have had a hard time convincing dh to go along. He finally gave in and said he would build me a chicken coop for my birthday, so I went the next week and bought baby chicks! [​IMG] I decided that was the best way to hold him to his promise! We brought 6 chicks home from the farm store, since I was too eager to wait on mail order chicks.

We have 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks Belle, Zoey and Constance and 3 that were labeled "Rainbow Layers" ( I am thinking they are Easter Eggers? ) They are Jacey, Lightning ( my ds named) and Lulu. The girl at the store said they were about 1 1/2 weeks old on Friday.

We hail from a small town in Missouri about 80 miles west of St Louis near I-44. We live on 10 acres and plan to let the chickens free range during the day.

So excited to be a part of the BYC community! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, The rainbow layers could be any color layer, when you able post pictures in what breed section and we will help you figure them out. Not all rainbow layers are EE's I had a new Hampshire red from a rainbow layer bin.

4. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi Angie and welcome to BYC. Check out our Missouri thread too!

5. amgreen1980

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Thanks! Well now I am excited to find out what I have! The pickins were slim when I bought the chicks, and I was weary of buying a breed that I didn't really know what it was. I will get my post count up so I can post pictures. The three Rainbows are have different markings!

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:I know our rainbow layer bin here had barred rocks, austrolorps new hamphire reds maybe a few red sex links and black sex links I did not see any EE in our bin but that was here.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. amgreen1980

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    I was just guessing on the Easter egger breed going from something I saw on a website somewhere. [​IMG] I will post picks soon!

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by