Hello, new here, late hatch question.

jenkitty30

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
(Copied and pasted from my intro thread)

Hello, I'm new here, but have been reading the forums for a few years. We have chickens and Khaki Campbell ducks. We recently had a 100% successful hatch of 6 Khaki Campbell's the day after Christmas. Our female was killed after an owl got into the coop and she either was attacked by the owl or trampled by chickens, not sure which. So we took the last 6 of her freshest eggs. The babies are now 7 weeks old and doing great!
We recently set 7 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs, one was infertile and one died within the first week of incubation. The remaining five have made it to the end! Three hatched yesterday (on day 23) and one hatched first thing this morning. The babies are doing great. The last egg has not pipped yet, so when I removed the last baby from the incubator, I quickly candled the egg and the chick has internally pipped and moving. I don't want to intervene since it's still alive and working hard but am getting worried since it's day 24. How long should we wait, if we decide to make an air hole? I don't like taking it out of the incubator, and only want to do so if necessary. Thanks.
1f423.png

Sound like your temp. Was running low.

Delayed hatch.

I would give the slow one another day or so. Since the others were late to hatch.

Good luck.

:welcome

thr last one externally pipped around 6pm last night and was born a few minutes before 6am today. It's only been 12 hrs since the last one, but feels longer! Lol

UPDATE: the last chick died sometime in the night. Candled the egg this morning and no movement but it was still in the air cell. When we opened the egg, the baby had a deformity, it looked like there was a fleshy bump where the yolk absorbed and its belly looked distended. I will try to attach a picture.

Back
Top Bottom