Hello...New here & new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tiffanys' Mama, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Tiffanys' Mama

Tiffanys' Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Michigan
    Hi. I have been reading all the great info. on here for quite a while and decided to join last night.
    My husband Mike (56 next month) and I (44) have been married 3 years and talked about being self sufficient as possible and maybe getting chickens.
    We made a 6 x 6 x 8 dog kennel that was not used into a chicken coop and began looking at the breeds available.
    We bought 3 hens and 1 pullet on 9-12-11 ( 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Red sex link, 1 Black sex link). We were given a Barred Rock Rooster 9-14-11
    and bought 2 Blue Ameraucanas and 1 Copper Marans/Speckled Sussex cross on 9-16-11. Looking back I would have given our first girls a
    chance to get used to their new home but everyone seems to be adjusting well.
    We put pine shavings inside the coop (deep litter method) and have diatomaceous earth but did not use it yet.
    So far we have gotten 4 eggs ( I'm hoping for more today). It was exciting to find them. My husband built the nest boxes himself.
    We both have been enjoying watching them and their behaviours. Our grandparents had chickens but we were both too young to remember much about it.
    We also do organic gardening and want to start a compost pile. Also, we would like to raise Heritage breed chickens and maybe get a few Turkeys next
    year.
    Well, thanks for reading my introduction.

Gail

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you here. Best of luck with your chickens!

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    why hello!!
    GOOD luck i love my chickens and if your any thing like us youll get addicted. tring to hatch and raise more make improvements all around lol!!
    you will love it!!
    oh and [​IMG]

4. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Welcome from Georgia.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tiffanys' Mama

Tiffanys' Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Thanks. I think we already are addicted. I'm already dreaming about hatching our own.

8. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Tiffanys' Mama :

Quote:Thanks. I think we already are addicted. I'm already dreaming about hatching our own.

ohhhhh UHOH shes got the fever [​IMG] [​IMG]
    last year i started with 20 barred rocks and 5 other mixed breeds this year i have
    45 chickens 5 ducks
    <---- those are them
    and 7 turkeys.. i cant wait to hatch some ducks. they just started to lay about 3 weeks ago haha. and im dreaming of some beautiful turkeys (royal palms, Burban reds, and some blue slates to start) and im going to try to hatch all my chickens for next year. so i dont have to buy any.
    im glad to hear your injoing them already.​

9. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by