Hello, new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rainbofeathers, Nov 14, 2016.

1. rainbofeathers

rainbofeathers New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Hi All, for my birthday I was given a pair of Serama chicks. The male is regular feathered and the girl is a black and white Frizzle. I have them in a large cage in my bedroom. They talk to me all the time but still don't like to be picked up. Once picked up they settle down and will be carried all around. They will be 3 months old on the 17th. I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions.Where I live the weather is to cold to be outside.My rooster is learning to crow, it's pretty funny! But a pretty good alarm clock.[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! Aww, congrats on the Serama's! Keeping the pair in a large cage is smart since Serama's are not cold hardy (able to withstand freezing temperature's). But when warmer weather comes you should have a coop ready for the small pair.

Just look on this link for ideas on coops: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops (of course, only if you don't have a coop).
    You could buy or build (or use an existing building) a small coop for the tiny pair but if you plan on adding to your small flock than you should make sure you build a bigger coop. As the post above said, for any questions just look through the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Or just ask your questions, you are sure to get very good answers! I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes with your chicken keeping! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. rainbofeathers

rainbofeathers New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Thank you, I like to read and see all the pictures. I have a dog,cat, 15 rats, and now 2 chickens. Sorta a small zoo.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! My, it sounds like you could open a small animal petting zoo! I bet it is never quiet. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Nice sounding bunch of pets!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. My friend has 2 - 5 yr. old serama hens as house chickens. They have been the most robust breed she has had in 25 years of keeping house chickens. They are real characters.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Serama's are such cute little birds, glad you are enjoying yours.

It's nice to have you here, make yourself at home!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, rainbofeathers, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Glad you are enjoying your flock! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by