1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello! New member here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by highonhens, Oct 18, 2014.

1. highonhens

highonhens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Bozeman, MT
    I've been getting tons of great information from this site and decided it was way past time to join. I am new to chickens, other than when I was 4-5 yrs old and was the one who collected the eggs and beat the mean roosters off because all the adults were too scared [​IMG]. I'm now 37 so it's been a couple of years. I have 16 chickens. My ladies are a mix of RIR, Black Giants and Black Stars. I have a Polish rooster and just adopted a little silkie bantam cross rooster. I'm looking to add more to my crew in the spring. I have room for about 10 more. I also have a cat, two dogs and two ferrets. When the day comes that I get more room, I'll add a peacock to my crew. So far, everyone gets along quite well. Other than my ladies pick the feathers off my Polish's head. He's a bit of a baldy in the center. I might have to get him a hat for the winter [​IMG]. I've trimmed all his feathers so they aren't so intrigued with his bouncy feathers. Seems to be helping. I'm excited to be here and keep learning. I love my chickens!!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Ya, everybody else always seem to pick out the poor polish chickens top feathers don't they... if you haven't, you might try spraying the bald spots and crest with blu kote, sometimes that helps with the plucking, especially on white crested birds.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

4. highonhens

Oct 18, 2014
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks Kelsie! I do put on blu kote. I've tried no pick to but the blu kote seems to work better. My ladies are just really persistent. As soon as the feathers start to grow back, they are picking them out. At times he has bled and they don't seem to go crazy over it and they also don't seem to be vicious in their picking, so I'm grateful for that! I am a little worried about his bald head and winter.

5. highonhens

Oct 18, 2014
    Bozeman, MT
    Thank You sunflour!!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    What about vaseline on your Polish's head. Maybe a beakful of that would stop the picking and offer some winter protection?

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, this sounds just like me! Ha! The adults would send us kids out to collect the eggs knowing full well that THEY were too scared to get the eggs as Mr Rooster chased us poor little kids around!![​IMG] I feel your pain.

So glad you could join our community! Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to our flock!

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

9. highonhens

Oct 18, 2014
    Bozeman, MT
    I've tried that too. It works about as well as the blu kote but the blu kote seems to last a little longer. Both deter them enough to let the feathers start growing, but then I think they see the feathers poke out and peck at them. They are not the meanest but they are persistent.

10. highonhens

Oct 18, 2014
    Bozeman, MT
    We had a handful of roosters we got somewhere that were nasty mean and the leader had just one eye and he would stare you down with it. We use to have to keep sticks by the front door to beat them away to get to the car. I remember my mom sending me out to clear them away. I don't recall those batch of roosters lasting very long [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by