Hello, new member, soon to be chicken owner near central Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RR1011, Dec 16, 2014.

1. RR1011

RR1011 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Ohio
    Im Rachel, I work as a nurse and mom to 2 littles. We bought a house a couple years ago with just over an acre in a small, rural town. I started gardening which some how turned into keeping bees and starting an orchard which has lead to the desire to have chickens. I've ordered 9 chicks from Meyers hatchery for the spring and have been non-stop reading/ studying coops & chickens. We have a 9.5 ft x 14 ft lean-to we plan to convert to a coop. Planning a stationary & a portable run for our girls. Excited and nervous to be chicken owners!

Anyway, hi all!

2. beansie

beansie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Garden Grove
    [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your future flock!

5. RR1011

Dec 16, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks for the welcome! This website is a plethora of chicken knowledge. Ive been able to find old posts answering all the questions Ive had so far. An amazing site so figured I might as well introduce myself.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Rachel! Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks are you getting?

7. RR1011

Dec 16, 2014
    Ohio
    I was going to ask...I got one of each of different breeds. Is that ok? I noticed a lot of people tend to get a few of the same breeds in their flocks, but since this is my 1st experience with chickens I wanted to try different breeds. I ordered a easter egger, speckled sussex, salmon faverolle, golden laced wyandotte, gold buff, dominique, black australorp, white sultan, and meyer's meal maker.

8. RR1011

Dec 16, 2014
    Ohio
    Found the answer to my question!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That should work nicely. You will get to experience a number of different breeds and decide for yourself which you like best. I think you'll love the calm and gentle personalities of the Black Australorp, Speckled Sussex, and Salmon Faverolle, and the Golden Buffs (one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links) are egg laying machines. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorites. She loves their colored eggs. I hope you ordered pullets instead of straight run. Pullets cost a little more to purchase initially, but you won't get loads of roosters like you will in a straight run order which you will have to either eat or re-home later. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in that regard. Even with pullet orders, you almost always get a rooster or two as most hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy with sexed orders. Good luck with your flock.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Rachel, welcome to Backyard Chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by