Hello - New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Davey4000, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Davey4000

Davey4000 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Roxboro, NC
    Built coop and started first flock about 2 months ago. I'm looking forward to learning all about raising chickens from this site. We have 2 Bantum Rhode Island Reds, rooster and hen about a year old and 6 Easter Eggers about 10 weeks old. The Bantum is not laying which is a little disappointing. Her sister, still at the place where we bought them, is already laying and is in fact broody as we speak.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Siblings can develop at different rates just like people. Are you certain your bird is a pullet? You may want to confirm via photos posted at "what breed or gender is this?"

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - DD has given you some good advice. More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
    CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I agree with drumstick, each bird develops at differing times. Do you have her on a good quality laying feed? Does she have a nice dark nest box to lay in? Adding a fake egg to the box can encourage laying. Are your Easter eggers with her? If so how long? Adding new birds can cause a bit stress which can stop or slow laying down.

Good luck and I hope you get an egg soon :fl Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I hope that pullet starts paying the rest soon!

9. ChickennLoverr

ChickennLoverr Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    It took my Rhode Island Red's a little bit longer to start laying but when they do start you will have some really nice eggs. I have a question, Do you let your chickens free-range? Once you answer that I will know for sure what's wrong.

10. Davey4000

Davey4000 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Roxboro, NC
    Right now they are not free range. I'd like to, but we have outdoor cats. The EE's were here first. The RIR's have been with them about a month now.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by