hello new member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by byjeepin, Aug 21, 2014.

1. byjeepin

byjeepin New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    emmaus,pa
    Hello, my name is brandon and just purchased my first 4 chickens. Loving it so far , they are only 7 weeks old so no eggs yet. Hopefully they will get used to there coop they dont come out much except to sleep at night,not sure why. I put them in at night. But hoping to learn alot for healthy and happy chickens.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chickens! Feel free to ask plenty of questions; we are all here to help.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It will take chicks a few weeks to get used to their new coop and get brave enough to run around, usually they will start going out farther every day. You can try spreading some treats on the ramp and outside near the door to tempt them out. Be sure to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of nice articles on all aspects of poultry keeping https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

4. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Brandon and welcome to BYC!

x2 on checking out the Learning Center, there is a ton of helpful information there. Also, using the Search box can give you a lot of leads finding what you may be looking for.

Glad you're enjoying your new chicks! What breed (or breeds) do you have?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As Kelsie has said, it takes chicks a while to get used to their new digs. They are dinner for many creatures and the chicks are going to be nervous about venturing too far. So give them time to expand on their horizons. Lure them out with food if you want. But let them decide when it is time to head outside. Pretty soon you will have a hard time getting them to go back IN the coop. LOL

Good luck with your new chicks and welcome to our flock!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC!

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Congrats on your little chicks.

9. byjeepin

byjeepin New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    emmaus,pa
    Im not sure of the breeds.. two are white and two are red.. so far I am enjoying them and looking forward to eggs. They seem to be getting more used to me as I give them treats.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Brandon! Glad you decided to join our flock. If you want to post pics of them, we can probably ID your breeds for you. Also, you can post their pics on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this, and let our experts there take a look at them. Be careful that the treats you give your chickens are less than 10% of their total diet, or you will have fat and unhealthy birds. Commercial foods are specially formulated to meet their dietary needs and giving them treats is the equivalent of us eating potato chips and candy. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by