Hello! New to BYC Forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MistaLyle, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MistaLyle

MistaLyle New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading the forums so much recently that I decided to join. I'm fairly new to raising my own chickens, but as a kid, my parents always had a dozen or so chickens. As a kid, the thing that stuck out in my mind was getting the eggs out of the coop as a team with my brother because the roo was never happy when we were in his domain.

Anyway, me and my brother both have chickens now since this past spring. I started out with a couple Phoenix bantam hens, which my brother and I hatched from eggs donated by a friend of his. I have since given him my two bantams and bought a couple of black Buff Orpingtons. The bantams eggs were too small for what I wanted. I only have two because I don't have a large enough yard for more. That, and my wife isn't as fond of them as me and my daughter are.

My two hens are now about to turn 7 months old and I am anxiously waiting for them to begin laying. As you can probably tell from the pic, one looks a bit larger and more mature than the other. I'm hoping she will lay soon!

Thanks to all of you who contribute here. It is such a great resource for all of us less experienced in raising chickens!

And it appears that I have posted the pic of my buff hens twice...typical newb! [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Those lovely hens look like they're going to lay soon. Keep an eye on their combs now. When it starts turning bright red they're near. But if they take a bit too long it could be that the shorter days are throwing them out. The average hen needs around 14 hours of light a day to keep her in production, so the short days may delay them a little.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, MystaLyle, and [​IMG]! So happy you joined our flock! Great looking birds you have there!!!

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio.....so glad you joined

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. eggsnchicks

eggsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012
    Welcome from IllInois !! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by