Hello! New to chicken! And have some issues/questions!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tankgirl88, Mar 20, 2013.

1. tankgirl88

tankgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    SLC, Utah
    We wanted to start keeping chickens this year so that we can have our own eggs, and raise them organically. So we took a ladies flock, 4 hens, and from what she says they are about 2 years old. When we got them fro her she said that they were all great layers. We have 3 Buff orpingtons and 1 rhode island red. We have had them for a week now, and are yet to see a single egg. We provided them with a coop with 2 roosts and 2 nesting boxes and a 3x3 fenced in yard attached. We also let them out to free range during the day. We switched them to organic pellet layer feed that has dietamtious earth and ground flax mixed in. I also have sprinkled the DE in the pine bedding and on their feathers. Keep water fresh. And the weather now should be warm enough for them. I know that it can be a bit of a shock for them to move to a new house and a new coop.. But was just wondering if anyone know what I am doing wrong to get them to lay, or how long with should take them to get settled in enough to lay. I hope I didn't buy chickens that don't lay...

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Moving to a new place is stressful for chickens and in most cases it will cause them to stop laying, sometimes for a few weeks. It sounds like you are doing your best in providing a good home for them and you are taking excellent care of them. The only thing I can think off that you can try is add a little unfiltered ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drink water. I believe the brand of choice in the US is "Braggs". ACV helps chickens with stress and will hopefully help in your situation. The ratio I use for my flock is 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. I give it to them as a health booster and for general well being. It's really good for chickens. Best of luck and hope you get some eggs soon!

2 people like this.
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tankgirl88

Mar 20, 2013
    SLC, Utah
    Thank you! I have some ACV on hand! I will give that a try right now!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Could they be older than 2 yrs.?

1 person likes this.
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. They will eventually adjust to their new surroundings, feeding routine etc...give them time like Sumi mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, tankgirl88, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!!

1 person likes this.
  8. tankgirl88

Mar 20, 2013
    SLC, Utah
    If they were older than 2 I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to tell or not

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The reason I asked about age, is maybe they are quite a bit older than 2 and at the end of their laying days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by