Hello! (New to chickens and Backyard Chickens) :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dani123, May 23, 2012.

1. Dani123

Dani123 Hatching

May 23, 2012
    Hi!
    I just recently obtained two bantam chicks and, at least temporarily I have the mom and her bff [​IMG] (I would like to keep the adults as well, but they are my father-in-law's, and I think he misses them, lol)

The babies are mine permanently - I know they are bantams of some sort but I am not really sure if they are a specific type of chicken or maybe mutt chickens [​IMG]... They are cute regardless.

I will have to post pics later, maybe someone will know.

Anyway - I am excited to be part of the "chicken community" - would like to learn more about my chickens and chickens in general. I would LOVE to have full size chickens one day - It would be very cool to be able to collect eggs from my backyard for breakfast! :D

I know the little banties lay eggs, but not sure if it would be worthwhile trying to make a meal out of the little things, lol.

Nice to meet you!

2. We lived on bantam eggs for about a year. It is quite possible to make a good meal out of them, you just need more of them. Our OEG bantams lay .5 oz to 1 oz eggs and we cook with them... They taste good. :)

3. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Songster

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

I know you will LOVE Backyard chickens! I rarely ever get on facebook, because I am ALWAYS on here! Everyone is so helpful I would rather be around no other bunch of people (I said people, not chickens ;). I hope you have a good time with your bantams, imo, there are no better breeds then the bantam breeds, they are so small and friendly. Who needs eggs when you have all the love in the world stuffed into such a small chicken [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Stan says hello!
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Bantam eggs are perfect for deviled eggs, and for scotch eggs. Kids also love them.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and enjoy. :thumbsup

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC Glad you joined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: