hello..new to forum..and chickens...

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
i am new to chickens....and have many questions..;o)yesterday i purchased 2 RIR, 1 white rock,2 black sex link chicks,and 2 ducklings...we need to start a coop A.S.A.P....but we want to do it correctly.. my main concerns are draft and predator protection...i know they need alot of ventilation..what would you suggest i use for the window screens?..and how to install it so nothing can can in or out of the coop(we will lock them up at night). also...i have 2 baby goats (pygmy and alpine..both de-horned)..i was wondering if i put the coop in one section of thier pen...but mostly kept the goats out of the area..just use the coop area as a sort of throughway for the goats to pass to the next pen we have for them would it be safe if they had some contact with the goats?..also...do i need to add a top covering to the coop yard?(it may be hard to do...with the goat fence)...if my goat fence is about 5 feet high?or could i just clip the hens wings?(although i dont really want to do that..in case they need to fly from some danger)....also..lol..sorry..i'm long winded....can i keep my ducks in the same pen (differant coop) as the chickens..(or could they go in the same coop?).will the ducks pool be a hazard to the chickens?will they fight?..also....i have a pot belly pig..that is outside during the day( he's inside the house at night)..he goes in the pen with the goats...would he be safe around the chickens? ....again..sorry so long!..Thanks

First let me say.... Welcome to BYC. You will find many people ready and willing to help. Now...let me see what I can do for your questions...LOL

what would you suggest i use for the window screens?..and how to install it so nothing can can in or out of the coop
I would get the welded wire fencing. This is what we are useing. Nail/staple/screw it up, and then get some wood trim, to cover the edges.

have 2 baby goats (pygmy and alpine..both de-horned)..i was wondering if i put the coop in one section of thier pen...but mostly kept the goats out of the area..just use the coop area as a sort of throughway for the goats to pass to the next pen we have for them would it be safe if they had some contact with the goats?
As for the chickens being safe from the ghoats? I dont think they would bother the chickens....other than to get into thier feed...which is not good for the goats. The goats might give chace a few times, just wanting to play, but I doubt they will do any damage.
do i need to add a top covering to the coop yard?
Some do....some dont..I have a cover over a few of the pens of smaller breeds. MAINLY to keep the hawks out. My RIR do not go over thier 4 ft high fence. Thats not saying they can't....they just dont.
Maybe you can get some bird netting....use quick ties to attach it to the existing fence, and use a few long poles...maybe 8 to 10 ft tall. to prop it up in the centers?
can i keep my ducks in the same pen (differant coop) as the chickens..(or could they go in the same coop?).will the ducks pool be a hazard to the chickens?will they fight?
Some people will keep them together...but I personally will not. The ducks are so messy...and wet grounds are not healthy for the chickens. The duck will need a water source...and small chickens might drown. Also, in the spring...the drake duck MIGHt try to breed your hens..and this could hurt or kill the hens.
i have a pot belly pig..that is outside during the day( he's inside the house at night)..he goes in the pen with the goats...would he be safe around the chickens?
I think the chickens should be able to get away from the pig. Just make sure they have an outside roost...so they can get up and away from the pig. How will you keep the feeds seperated? Something to think about. How will you keep the pig out of the coop? If it smells eggs...it will do everything it can, to get the eggs. Pigs LOVE em!
Sounds like you have a great start there. Oh...adn we of course want to see pics...of the animals.
smile.png

hi...thanks so much for responding!(justusnak)..All your ideas are great!!..the bird netting sounds like it will work great..also...thanks for the warning about Hammie(pig)..getting in the feed..and eggs..He loves eggs!(scrambled of course!)..so maybe if i keep the main door to the coop closed..and just make a little hen door that hopefully he cant get through...that may work...so i'm thinking we'll make the coop 4wx8longx6high...horriable with dimentions..hope those made sense to you?..with about 4 nest boxes..does that sound like a good size?..big enough? (plus the area we will fence in for them to be outside)...also..lol..perches..i have heard so many differant people say differant sizes..2x4's..2x2's..what is best for them?..i know for regular birds(have an african grey)..perches have to be the right size for them or it is painful and can harm the feet..also...;o)..nest boxes..place them down or make them higher up in the coop?..also...how long should the perches be?...thanks again...p.s. how do i post a pic on here?..

Back
Top Bottom