1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello, New to hatching but very excited

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelley, Apr 20, 2008.

1. shelley

shelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Hi my name is Michaela and im from Oxfordshire in England. I have 6 Pekin Bantam eggs in an incubator and am on day 17 due to hatch on the 24th and im so excited [​IMG]. I know that I have to get my humidity level up today and this is the last day for turning and opening the incubator but im using a home made incubator made out of a polystyrene box do I need to put more ventilations holes in for when the chicks hatch? I think only 2 of them are ok but this is my first time I dont want to throw eggs out as I dont 100% know what im looking for any advice will be great.

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    if u get any good advice pass it on. I get my first bator today.What kind of eggs are u getting?

3. shelley

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Ive got blue splash Peking Bantams I cant wait just hope it works just reading about using egg cartons dont know if I should just carry on with what im doing or try something new [​IMG]

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Don't add more holes now if all has been stable so far. It will just mess up your temperature control and ability to increase humidity for the next few days.

5. shelley

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Thank you thats just what I wanted to know. Do I raise the humidity today ready for day 18 or do I do it on day 18?

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I normally don't do it until day 18. Good luck with your hatch. Many people here have used home made incubators. I know a lady here who used a dehydrator and water pans, and another that used a modified toaster oven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by