Hello! new to this forum and to raising chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gutfiddle, Jul 21, 2010.

1. gutfiddle

gutfiddle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    but I purchased 3 10 day old chicks at the feed store yesterday, an Americauna, Rhode Island Red, and Buffington

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4814533497/in/set-72157624550268278/

Jackson is gonna learn with me on becoming a chicken farmer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4815156032/in/set-72157624550268278/

if i can keep these 3 yahoos away from them so they get old enough to determine if they are hens or roosters![​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4814536147/in/set-72157624550268278/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] Your pics are great! Love the chicks, so cute! Of course, the boys and dogs are as well [​IMG] I'm a newbie myself, my first batch of chicks is about 2 weeks old. Take lots more pictures, because they change every day, quite literally. You can see the difference in feathers and growth each morning!

3. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Cute chicks!

We too started out with three from a feed store at around Easter of this year. We are impatiently waiting for the first egg from them now …. and growing out a bunch of new chicks! It went fast! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gutfiddle

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    thanks folks! i'm excited to watch the chickens grow and hopefully get eggs if they are hens, we will probably eat the roosters. Any idea on when you can tell the sex of the birds?

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That's the age-old question. [​IMG] Wait about a month, then post some current photos of them in the What Breed or Gender? section of BYC.

By the way, feed stores order from hatcheries. Since these are hatchery birds, I don't want you to get your feelings hurt about this.... hatchery Ameraucanas are technically Easter Egger chickens. They lay colored eggs (green, blue, brown, etc.) unlike true Am's who lay just blue eggs. Also, your Buffington is a Buff Orpington. [​IMG]

6. gutfiddle

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    Thanks for the info! i'm learning more about them already:D

now if i could figure out how to embed pix on here i wouldnt have to post links, is it b/c of my "egg" status?

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

My entire flock is comprised of feed store chicks, except for two notable exceptions: I bought a bantam (my first bantam) lavender Cochin from a breeder (actually I bought 2 but one was not a pullet as claimed) and one of my pullets HATCHED AN EGG! So I have my own little home-grown GrandChick!!!

I never in my life would have guessed how enjoyable it is to keep chickens. The eggs are simply a bonus (albeit a quite nice one) to having adorable, silly, interesting, feathered yard companions!

If you want to post pictures, just look up at the blue line listing Index User list Rules Search My Page Profile Recent Posts and UPLOADS. Basically, you'll upload the photos, then copy and paste the code the system provides for the images into your posts. Good luck!

We always want to see photos of chicks. ALWAYS. It's a rule, y'know. [​IMG]

9. gutfiddle

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    Testing one two, watch me work now!

[​IMG]

Ruby Pig the wild sow (green eggs and ham!)

[​IMG]

Jackson, myself and either "Ball" or "Whatsthat" the Buff Orpington, he hasnt decided on the name yet:)

[​IMG]

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Love the pics! So sweet...lots of good info on this site and helpful people. Glad you're with us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by