Hello new to this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abautis2, Nov 30, 2016.

1. abautis2

abautis2 New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    Hello im new to the chicken raising world, i have always wanted to raise so chickens and here i am. Im from texas.

2. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    :welcome This is a great place and there are many fun, smart and very friendly and helpful people. Don't be afraid to ask for help as this community is great!

3. nenapen

nenapen Just Hatched

Nov 17, 2016
    Does anyone know what breed this is?[​IMG]

4. abautis2

abautis2 New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    Allright thanks for the support and feed back, greatly appreciated. Ok, now referring to what i had posted earlier, im not sure if i have easter eggers or ameraucanas. I have read that easter eggers lay different colored eggs. But of the 20 she layed all of them are light blue which would be a trait only ameraucanas and araucanas have. Another of my hens just started laying green eggs this particular hen has the other hen's colors and feather pattern but has no beard. I will try to upload a picture, maybe someone can identify my hens true breed. I have heard easter eggers wont go broody, maybe its an ameraucana. Just thinking that my hens might never go broody makes me worry. Im seriously thinking about incubating some of their eggs and take my chances.

5. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the BYC flock! Glad you joined us,
    here is an article you might like, be sure to read the comments:
    www.backyardchicken/a/easter-egger-ameraucana-and-araucana-whats-the-difference-chicknsrocks-guide-to-telling-them-apart

6. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    If you really want to hatch chicks and the hen isn't being committed then you should probably incubate them. Is she staying on the nest? Or is she getting up and not staying on there all day and night.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some people get a silkie or two as they are known to be excellent broodies - not the hatchery stock, but silkies from a real breeder. You can put fertile eggs under them while they are "sitting," and they will raise them as their own chicks. Buff orps also go broody often and are bigger so they can cover more eggs than a silkie.

8. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by