Hello! Newbie from Boston area with a question :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BirdIsTheWurd, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BirdIsTheWurd

BirdIsTheWurd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Hi, I am just getting started on my chicken journey.
    I have a coop, am building a run and gathering supplies. Have been planning this for awhile, but now I find myself in a dilemma, and would appreciate advice.
    I do not want chicks, planning to get pullets and start a small flock of 4 or 5.
    I have one source who can sell me 19 wk old Golden Comets (not laying yet though). This is tempting because I like the breed and I would get eggs very quickly.
    The other source has 6-8 week pullets available starting in June/July and one of the breeds is the Easter Egger, which was my top choice. They also have Buff Orpingtons and Light Brahma breeds (which I know aren't great layer, but I love the fluffy feet).
    I really wanted variety in my little flock and, ideally, I wish I could get a couple of the Golden Comets now and then add a couple more (maybe 2 Easter Eggers and a Light Brahma) later so I could have eggs soon and variety... but I know that's risky from a pathogen standpoint. What would you do?
    Any advice appreciated!
    (also, the G.Comets have their beaks trimmed... is that something that should concern me?)

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to the BYC forum!

I like having a mixed flock. Ideally if you add chickens to an established flock you would quarantine them for a month to make sure they have no communicable diseases. That isn't really difficult if you only get three which you could put in a large dog crate in the garage. You may want to ask about vaccines given to the pullets.

As far as the Golden Comets having their beaks trimmed, I don't have first hand experience, but ask the owner what kind of feed is best for a trimmed beak pellet or crumble. Other members may have advice on this. At least you won't have to worry about pecking as much when you add more chickens to the flock.

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us. Good luck with your new chickens

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I would get both if it was my decision.

Welcome to BYC!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012