Hello! Newbie from North Texas! Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Texan Chicky, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Texan Chicky

Texan Chicky New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Hello,
    My husband, 10 year old daughter and I are moving into rural Texas country in a couple months and we're acquiring approx 10 acres. This will be a lifestyle change and I cannot wait! I've been dreaming of this! I am going to have Chickens for sure! But (don't laugh) I do not want to kill them! Eating the eggs okay, but basically they'll be pets and used for alarm clocks and egg suppliers. Do any of you let them free range? I've been reading about so many predators, do you have to keep them fenced in? Would love if they could just hang out around the house, barn where ever they want. I also saw dogs are an issue. No dogs around except our Blue Heelers, but they're super smart and well trained, only 7 months.

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to have a million questions in the future!

Thanks!
    Caroline

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

Many people on here free range but with free ranging does carry the risk of loss to numerous predators.

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin. Yes predators will be a problem. Fence them in. Lots of good advice here. The search feature is your friend.

4. Texan Chicky

Texan Chicky New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Great, thank you everyone!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. A good rooster will warn and protect your flock. He may even sacrifice himself for the safety of the hens. A pen and coop is a good idea for their safety, especially at night.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I have yet to let my new birds free range, something I would love to do, but we have some many hawks all the time, that I have to keep them in their covered pen or they will definitely will be killed. I learned from experience. :(

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio...glad you joined

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

As was mentioned, many people do free range, but there is always risk with this. If you free range, ensure they have "safe" areas (bushes, things to hide under) and some "buffer" from likely predators. Also, don't leave the coop open at night or you might as well write them off.

10. Welcome and good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by