Hello & Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gr8bskt, Feb 23, 2012.

1. gr8bskt

gr8bskt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Hello there : )

We are raising our very first chicks. Building our farm from the ground up; this is a huge dream come true.

Our 26 peeps arrived from McMurray on Tuesday: 6 Hampshires, 6 Buff Rocks, and 13 Red Stars; 1 roo of each and the rest little henlets. We had them vax'd for Marek's and Coccidiosis there at the hatchery.

Woke up Wednesday to a dead Buff Rock. Last night, lost a little Red Star. The Star's feet were a very pale yellow. My husband was dipping her beak in water, and the poor little thing threw up; have you ever heard of a chick throwing up? He thinks it might have been too much water; I don't know, but she was pretty floppy, though still peeping. She died within an hour of throwing up.

Today, I have one very listless chick that's down. Not much walking, pale yellow legs. There's another with the color draining out of her legs, too, although her nails still have a bit of orange in them; this one, however, is still really active, but if she follows the pattern, she'll be down on her legs tomorrow and gone by tomorrow night.

I met a chicken man at TSC today and he recommended the medicated feed anyway, because the vax doesn't always work, and they can get sick with other things that they weren't vax'd for. My mama worries got the better of me and I caved and gave them a bit of the medicated food this afternoon. Should I put them back on the unmedicated chick starter? Help!

I'm brand new at this, and although Hub grew up on a small farm, he doesn't know what's going on with these little ones. Anyone have any ideas? I'd love any help that you might have.

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have any input but [​IMG]

3. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't understand why you aren't feeding them medicated feed? I always feed mine medicated chick starter no matter what.

4. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

In fact, mine eat medicated food until the whole 50 pound bag is gone. Put them back on now and keep them on.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Medicated feed only builds immunity from coccidiosis, unless they are on the ground,they are not suffering from coccidiosis. I'm not certain what is wrong, what are you using for a watered,feeder and brooder? Could something around them be posonious too them ?

6. gr8bskt

Feb 23, 2012
    "The hatchery said..." not to use medicated feed if they're vaccinated, that the vax and the med food will cancel each other out. This doesn't square with my understanding of health in the human world, but one doesn't necessarily apply to the other, so I believed the hatchery. Mistake?

7. gr8bskt

Feb 23, 2012
    I don't know if they are exposed to anything poisonous (eeks - I hope not!). I'm using fresh Sav-a-Chick vitamin/electrolyte solution every day. I use paper towels for their bedding and change that twice a day. The brooder is made from wood and is from untreated mdf and plywood. We have the red lamps with cages; temperature is a constant 88*. They eat and drink like champs, launch themselves like little rockets (love it), and are scratching, hopping, and peeping all the time. They do take naps, but only for a few minutes at a time, then they're back at it. Then I'll find a chick that's down on the ground, and spends the day there. Their legs are pale yellow and tucked underneath, toes not curled up, but no muscle tone, either - just kinda limp. I'm wondering if that second pale-footed chick that's still active will be down tomorrow. Does this sound like coccidiosis?

8. gr8bskt

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks so much! : )

9. mlm Mike

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    No, and I doubt if they have even been exposed to coccidiosis yet. It is in the ground. They sound healthy, until they're not. Usually new chicks are started at around 95 degrees, but yours don't sound like they are cold or chilly. Have you called the hatchery to see if they have any ideas on what it might be ?

10. mlm Mike

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Oh, I'm assuming they have enough fresh air, brooder is not enclosed ? I'm really stumped, never heard of anything like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by