Hello - Newbie in Central Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Seatrout00, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Seatrout00

Seatrout00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    Hello! While I started investigating getting chickens about 3 years ago, its not actually happening until now - we are working on a coop and chicks will come in January as we are heading out of town for the holidays.

I am completely green, reading as much about keeping chickens as I can, so any advice is much appreciated.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and congrats on your plans to start your own flock.

You should visit the learning center - there's a lot of info there to help you get started.

My advice is to build the coop and run larger than you think you need, will save adding on later.

1 person likes this.
  3. Seatrout00

Seatrout00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    We are making a good size coop - the run is a bit small but they will have my side yard all to themselves - probably about 20 feet by 80 feet - and will have access to the larger backyard as well on occasion.

I have been living in the Learning Center this past month! Reading tons on breeds, health issues, how to build and predator proof your coop and so forth. I don't want to get done and wish I'd done something different - I hate that feeling.

The breeds I am looking at are Barred Rocks and Australorps. I had though to get BR and RIR but folks on the forums sold me on Australorps. I am only planning on purchasing three of each - hoping out of those six chicks, to get four solid hens - giving myself a bit of room as baby chicks often die and sometimes roosters end up in the batch.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. BYC has a lot of members from Florida and one of them, NorthFlChick, posts regularly on this section. X2 on sunflour; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Nice to see another Floridian join the group! If you would like to say hello on our state thread, you can find it here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

If you have any questions, always feel free to ask. There's a ton of information available and a lot of friendly, helpful members.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like you have a good plan. Welcome to BYC

9. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by