hello newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lafondachick, Jun 21, 2010.

1. lafondachick

lafondachick New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi we are new to having chickens and have 3- 3 month or so old hens. One was acting strange last night off by itself but otherwise seemed fine the last few days. This morning I went out to feed them and found the one hen still in the corner, dead. The other 2 seem sad, but fine. Any ideas what to investigate so others are okay? Also, any way to introduce a new chicken to the 2?

Thanks, Margaret

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You can always have a necropsy done to find out what she died from. It is hard to say what she died from, since I really do not know any other symptoms that she may have been having.

I would not add new birds to the other 2 until I was sure that it isn't contagious. You always want to quarantine new birds for at 21 days before putting them in with your existing flock. It's better to wait at least a month.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. lafondachick

lafondachick New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Thank you for your response. I have not told my daughter yet. She will be heartbroken. [​IMG] I think I am going to like this forum idea.

Margaret
    have a good day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by