hello NZ'ers! Cheap fencing ideas/suppliers?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chochopops, Nov 23, 2013.

1. chochopops

chochopops New Egg

Feb 5, 2013
    Auckland
    Hello there~
    This thread is aimed for fellow New Zealand Chicken owners!

I need to find a supplier or person I can get some cheap fencing from! I've got a run attached to coop and all for my chickens but its too small so ive decided to make a run surrounding the coop. I need to buy at least 20-30m of good fencing suitable for keeping dogs out and chickens in - second hand is good too~
    placemakers and those building supply stores are just wayy too expensive... chainlink nearly $20p/m.
    does anyone know a really cheap junk yard type place or know someone trying to sell their fencing?

much help appreciated! I would like to get my coop up and running again during the summer holidays~
    cheers.

2. Hennysmother

Hennysmother Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Hi there Chocopops ... Just s suggestion ... We have been helping my daughter with some temporary fencing for her chooks in the backyard and have been using pallets - get them free wherever you can and drive waratahs - ( steel standards) down through the sides of the pallets between the timbers standing it on the edge ... She then staples shade cloth on the outside of the pallets- this is working really well so ling as your chooks dont decide to fly up on top of their fence ! We had to cut some wing feathers on a couple of them ! You could use any wire netting on the sides of the pallets as well but we slready had a supply if shade cloth - the other suggestion is to try and locate some long style pallets they make for easier fencing - less waratahs needed! Hope this is a help with temporary fencing for you. !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by