Hello!!! Please answer my questions!!:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kristi2chickens, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Kristi2chickens

Kristi2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Hello!!! My "name" is Kristi(I use the name Kristi as an online name)!!! I've been doing lots of research and I would really like to get chickens!!! I would get them for pets and eggs. :) I may or may not be moving. At the house I currently live at there are A LOT of plants. I'm not really sure what all of them are... My landlord planted them. Would it still be safe to have chickens at my current home??? At the place where I may or may not move into there is a crabby neighbor that might not like the idea of chickens... How would I convince her that they would be not a problem at all??? Also, the landlord that I have may or may not go for the idea of having chickens. How do I let the landlord and the neighbors know that chickens wouldn't be a problem at all??? I already know which coop and brooder I would have and make. What is the best chick starter feed I can get??? Can I feed chicks "human" food right away??? How much feed and human food do I give adult chickens a day??? I live in a place where it gets very cold in the winter. What kind of chickens should I get??? Also, how do I keep them warm if I can't get electricity in the coop??? Should I insulate the coop??? What is the best adult chicken feed I can get??? When are the chickens adults??? How do I tell if they are male or female??? Should I get one type of chicken or several??? Should I get a book on chickens??? If so, which book??? Thank you so much!!! I will probably have more questions later... Lol!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks!!!:D

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

5. crb1487

crb1487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Omak, WA
    HELLO! Welcome! I'm sure glad you've given this allot of thought because these sweeties wouldn't deserve to be bought on a whim. [​IMG]
    These are all good questions & concerns however the 2 biggest issues I see are if you stay where you are
    you're not sure what plants you have & if they are safe to poultry & if you move, your new neighbor may cause
    problems... I would not in this case if there were ANY chance of harm from this neighbor or if you're a renter if it could cause the landlord to make you get rid of them.
    The other issue would depend on how you're raising & feeding them because most times a chicken will avoid a poisonous plant unless however hungry enough it won't care.

[​IMG]

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll try to answer most of them.[​IMG]

I suggest taking a look at the Learning Center for lots of other good information: Learning Center Articles

In particular, check out these links:

How To Raise Backyard Chickens In Your City - The Basics Of Raising Chickens
    How much does it cost to raise backyard chickens?
    The Pros and Cons of Raising Chickens

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is really no way you can persuade a landlord to allow chickens if they are dead set against it. We cannot tell you what plants are toxic there . The best thing would be to confine chickens in a safe, secure, roomy coop and outdoor run to protect them against dangers that would befall them. AS to food, they will do best on the commercials feeds adjusted for chickens at various stages of their life., for instance chick starter, layer feed for birds laying eggs, and so on.

There is a great deal of information available at this site. The various forums cover just about everything you need to know.

8. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you!!!

9. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you so much!!!! I will ask my landlord if she knows of any poisonous plants in the yard.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
  10. Kristi2chickens

Mar 21, 2015
    Okay, thank you so much for all your information!!!! I found it very helpful!!!:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by