Hello - question about # of chicks per breed....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chloemama, Jan 18, 2010.

1. chloemama

chloemama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    Hello everyone-
    I am a newbie to having chickens and after spending HOURS online and looking/reading books I have narrowed my choices down to 9 breeds.
    My love is not even thrilled that I am doing this so 9 is out of the question, for now :)

Okay on to the question....
    Do I need to order chicks in pairs or can I have of each kind? I know chickens need buddies but do I need pairs of them?

Thank you in
    advance-

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Chicken pairs or even trios can be any breed. That being said, some breeds are friendlier, some are more skittish, some are flat out crazy, et cetera.

You really only want pairs/trios of a single breed if you are going to be breeding them.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You don't absolutely need pairs of each breed. Three should be the minumum total # of chicks you get for a good reason. Chickens are very much flock animals. If you only get two and goodness forbid something should happen to one, you'll end up with a very lonely bird on your hands. With three if you lose one, at least the remaining two still have each other.
    Now about the breed pairings. I have 14 chickens, all one breed, but in three different colors. I have found the lights tend to stay with the lights, the darks with the darks and the buffs with the buffs. There may be some truth in the old adage that birds of a feather flock together.

4. Quote:I agree. All of our different breeds stay together.

5. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I have 9 chickens that were brooded together, and 4 that I bought as adult birds last month. The four adult birds wander off together, and the 9 that were brooded together stick with each other. Then, they all mingle with each other intermittently throughout the day.

I like one rooster and three hens per breed. Unfortunately, I lost all of my Australorp pullets, and only have a lone Australorp cockerel, but he's one of the 9 and seems quite happy. Guess I should find him some girls, huh?

Only thing is, if you want to keep the breeds pure, you will need to house your breeds separately (example: a chicken tractor for each trio). Otherwise, you will end up with a bunch of crosses, which is okay if you are not attempting to breed or sell pure chicks.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. chloemama

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    Thank you

I live in Northwest Ri and it does get really cold here at times. So I already have them narrowed down to cold weather hearty.
    I only want to get brown layers so that narrowed it down even more. I can't have a cock/rooster at all.

So I was thinking of getting 1 each of the following...
    Australorp, Barneveldor, Brahma (white), Cochin (splash frizzle), Dominique, Dorking, Orpington (blue), Welsummer and Wyandotte (silver laced).

Is it ok for the chickens to be the only one of their kind? I want to make sure they are happy.

C

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    It's fine if the chickens are one of a kind. [​IMG] They'll make friends with the other breeds (especially if raised together) and be just fine! Kind of like how different breeds of dog make friends with one another.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You KNOW you want an Easter Egger for those green or blue eggs. [​IMG] (sold as Ameraucana from hatcheries)

I started with 7 chickens that were all different breeds. I doesn't make a bit of difference.

9. chloemama

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    LOL I want a lot of them! Some just because of the cute factor.
    My honey is not keen on this at all. He is afraid I am inviting predators in that will not only go after the chickens but the dogs too (and the kitten if we let her out).
    He is building the frame of the coop for me - I told him only 4 maybe 6 hahaha I'm up to 9!

I think that having the coop within the dog's allowed yard, the skirt out 3 feet and possible a shocker line, and an over head netting it should keep predators them at bay. The run area is going to be pretty big so they have lots of room to roam. I will take them out to walk about the yard freely when I am there to watch.

I'm so excited!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well then, you need to get a new honey! J/K [​IMG]

My husband is resigned to the fact that he is now married to a chicken lady. He tells everyone........."you know those old ladies that have 100 cats? Well she's the same but with chickens."

IMO, they don't attract predators. But predators WILL take advantage of an easy meal, so don't make it easy! Make sure you close that pop door every night. (or buy an auto closing one like we did.....well worth the $$$) You will still have predators regardless of chickens or not. You just may not see them. Cover all openings with hardware cloth, NOT chicken wire. I saw a program that said an adult skunk can fit through an opening the size of a baseball.

We live in an area with racoons, skunks, foxes (we've seen them on our property - before we had chickens), coyotes, mountain lions and bears. They were all here before we got chickens, which was last Feb. And the 1 predator we've had a problem with........................hawks. We lost one chicken last summer to a hawk. It couldn't carry her off, but it did kill her.

So anyway, done with my rant.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by