hello! roost questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alibraun, Oct 19, 2013.

1. alibraun

alibraun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    Hello! just joined, need info on spacing for roost in chicken cabin we building.[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    hello n thank u! I am lost so far on here

4. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    hi again! my name is Ali, we have 12 girls all laying and building them the cabin u see. I really need info on a roost. we plan to add morre to our flock in the spring. we are in ohio, and we have cold hardy girls who are getting acclimated well to the temperatures. thanks!!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I see you found the Coop and Run section :) Enjoy the site!

6. ten-acre-farms

ten-acre-farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    I am so jealous of the cabin that's amazing!!! A ladder type thing works really well, I've read that there needs to be about 8 inches of roost per chicken. Make sure the roosts are higher than the nesting boxes or else they will roost in the boxes and you end up with messy eggs.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] have you checked out the section on coops.? All of know about roosts is to have them far enough away from the wall so the birds can face either direction. If you use 2 x 4's the wide side should face up, so the birds can warm their feet by hunkering down on the roost. Height is rather determined by breed. The big heavy breeds can't be up to high because some just jump down rather than fly, and landings are hard on the body. Breeds like silkie usually don't roost, they pile up in a corner on the floor.

Generally birds like to be up off the ground but, not so high that vents near top of coop would give them a draft. Birds also like a roost with a view, near windows. Roosts should not be placed over nest boxes, unless they is a poo tray under them to catch the droppings. Depending on your breeds(size, etc.) you may want roosts of different heights, if there is room for them. Hope this helps.

8. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    hi! yes I been looking at the coop build forums. I have jersey giants,Plymouth rocks and easter eggers. we plan to add more in spring, turkeys, guineas and some bantams, maybe a duck or two, oh an peacock. walls are 6' vents at top of peak and are closeable. but how far apart should roost bars be? 12 or 15"?? oh the coop will match our home too once stained and chinked.

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

12 is fine.

10. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by