Hello there from Southern Nevada!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrandiA, Oct 25, 2011.

1. BrandiA

BrandiA New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    My husband and I live just outside of Las Vegas and we are just getting into chicken raising. We wanted to be as informed as possible before we purchased out little bantam flock. Any advice on having chickens in such a hot climate would be awesome! Have a great one!

2. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Hi and [​IMG] !!!!! Im new too so I'm not much help in the advice department, but I do know, after spending all of my time after homework obsessively cooing at cute baby chicken pictures online here, that YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING TO KNOW HERE [​IMG] Yay! If you dont see a question you want to ask, just go to the topic your question belongs in, click "POST TOPIC" on top right side and type out a question. There are sooooo many kind helpful people here! No question is a dumb question. And I've asked some pretty darn close-to dumb questions (i.e- is a rooster ok to eat) [​IMG] Lol!

Anyways, GOOD LUCK AND [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! There is no better place to learn about chickens!

[​IMG]

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

There's a thread for Nevadan's on here so make sure you stop in and meet more people in Nevada.

You need lots of vents for both heat and during the cold. Don't know if you are high desert like Vegas, but there are chicken people who do fine there. Lots of frozen treats and cold water. You also might want to look for heat hardy breeds.

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Welcome to BYC! Provide as much shade as possible during hot weather, and change water often so they always have nice fresh cool water.

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from Austin, Texas. New too, but we had great luck this summer with Red Sex-Links. No losses to heat.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by