Hello there! New member in California desert

USMC-MSgt-ret

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Well, I've been browsing around and decided this is the place to learn more about tending chickens in my retirement age (under 50 lol). We've had chickens before but I want to build a coop and run that will last a looong time. Surely I'll find something for us here. We live in Yucca Valley which is up to 105F in the summer and down to 15F in the winter. I have an 'L' shape area around the garage I want to use for approximately 6-8 hens. The short and long parts of the L are both 20'x5' with one part facing south and one facing east. The L is surrounded by regular 5' chainling fencing right now. I plan to use the end of the East side to build the coop and allow the hens to roam 'around' the garage. This way they can always have shade or sun when they wish while roaming. If you have any suggestions, they are surely welcomed, as I will plan until I feel comfortable to start buying and building away... Thanks in advance and 'talk' to ya'll laters!! ;)

welcome-byc.gif
If you have a lot of predators in your area you may want to put up some electrified wiring around the run area and a top on the run , if hawks are a problem. Everything seems to love chicken and if they get an easy meal they come back and bring friends.

Sure thing, Diva; we lost one to a hawk before. Coop will be covered... Thanks for the welcome!:D

Back
Top Bottom