Hello there !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mr Beto, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Mr Beto

Mr Beto New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Good morning everyone! Greetings from Channelview Tx. I own 12 rhode island reds, 10 hens, 2 roosters, 1 giro rooster, and looking to make my flock bigger. I'm interested in adding a couple of guineas, to watch over the flock. Any advice how to train them ?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! If you post in the Guinea Fowl forum, folks there should be able to help you out. Good luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. In terms of guineas, I have a few and from my experience they're about as easy to train as cats! :D. I have had success getting them to come when I call and they will coop up at night if bribed with a little scratch grain. I kept them cooped for almost a month before letting them range so the coop would imprint on them. I am happy they come back in the evening and wait by the coop. If I don't get out soon enough they will roost in trees around the coop.
    One small bit of advice...your hen to rooster ratio may be out of tune. One rooster to about 10 hens is about the right number to keep the hens from getting overbred and constantly on edge. Good luck to you!

4. Mr Beto

Mr Beto New Egg

Aug 27, 2016

5. Mr Beto

Mr Beto New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Thank you very for the advice. The red roosters are still young. However, I'll come up with something when the time comes.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, I didn't know guineas could be trained but Redsoxs group sounds like he has succeeded

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by