Hello there!

JoyePhoto

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Hi, I'm Rebecca..my husband, DL and I have recently gotten into keeping chickens. Everything we "google" leads us here, so we joined :)

We've had three faithful, egg laying Rhode Island red hens and one beautiful (but grumpy) gold laced wyandotte rooster for about two years. Several weeks ago, we made plans to build a barn/coop in place of some older falling-apart sheds we had, because we wanted more hens and more eggs. We intended to place an order from a hatchery for 50 chicks. One evening, DL came home with 8 chicks from a local feed store...I said "We aren't supposed to get chicks until May"."This is to break us in easy." he said. Oh..ok. Then we started finding local people who had chicks, so we would get 10 here and 20 there. Finally, we cancelled our order with the hatchery because we had all our birds.

We now have 12 Rhode island reds, 7 Buff Orpingtons, 11 Barred Rocks, 9 Silver laced Wyandottes, 2 Blue laced Wyandottes, 1 Blue splash? Wyandotte, 4 Gold laced Wyandottes, 4 Golden Comets, 2 Ameraucanas, 10 Easter eggers, 4 white leghorns, 4 mystery birds and 2 Silkies.

Phew, I feel like I just sang the 12 days of Christmas.

We also have a cat, a Beagle and 3 Pit Bulls.

This is us..the Joye's :) Thanks for having us!

images

Welcome to BYC!

And congrats on those new babies!! Yes, it is hard to go to the feed store and not come home with a basket of peeping joy!! You have a very nice flock of chicks too. Docile, friendly and great layers. Your baskets will be full of eggs!!

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Now that is some chicken math! Congratulations on all your new babies. Sounds like you will have a very beautiful flock and a colorful egg basket.

Back
Top Bottom