Hello, this is my first post, building my first coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CityFolk, Apr 2, 2009.

1. CityFolk

CityFolk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Hi there![​IMG]

I have kind of a funny story as to how I came to want chickens for myself. I live in the city and would have never thought about having chickens. I do have a pet cat and sometimes I browse the local shelter websites to look at the new strays they have picked up. One day I was looking at the dog section and one that was described as a 3 year old female pit bull had a picture of a rooster! I thought it was funny, but then I started thinking, what if I adopted it? I soon found out roosters are not allowed in the city limits, but I kept thinking about chickens off an on. Fast forward a month and I am halfway done buliding my coop. It has to be 50 ft from the neighbor's houses and it turns out there is one small spot it will just fit between the 3 neighboring houses so that is where it is going to be (When I say barely fit I hope they don't get the tape measure out.)

Here is the pen I built: [​IMG]

The pen is 14 feet by 8 feet (I hope that is enough!) I plan to free range them sometimes in the evening.

My parents do rental houses as part of their income and I helped them take down an old shed they were replacing and they let me have the lumber for free. Here it is in the back of my step dad's truck.

[​IMG]

Here is the progress I have made today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I can't have a real rooster Tages will have to assume that role!

[​IMG]

I found out I needed more flat boards from that shed so I am going to finish it tommorow. Wish me luck!

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Everything is looking good, a neat plan...

3. CityFolk

Apr 2, 2009
    Here are some updates from today's work!

All that is left is to make the ramp, put up the roosting bars and to put on the shingles. I am on vacation this week and my step dad is giving me tons of help!. The entire front comes off and there is a sliding door (not seen in pic) to close at night to keep the chickens in and neighborhood cats out. Do my nesting boxes look about right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Good job, your not wasting any time.

5. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    WELCOME [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    what breeds are you going to get? how many can you have? I am getting 18 from cackle hatchery 5 rirs, 5 buff orps 5brs 3ees

6. CityFolk

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome. I can have 6 without permit, 12 with. I have a 4x4 coop so I think I can really only have 4 chickens. I will start out with 2 of the Rhode Island Reds and then probably get something more exotic later on for the other two.

7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]:yiipchick

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Looks great coop, especiallythat the lumber is rcycled [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

10. AtRendeAcres