Hello thought I would just say something about myself

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SuzanneW, Oct 1, 2012.

1. SuzanneW

SuzanneW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Hi

I am Suzanne and I live in France (from the UK) with my husband Jem.

We are mum and dad to around 13 Rhode Island chickens. 4 french chickens. 2 white turkeys and one beautiful grey black turkey. We also have 3 ducks, 2 ginny foul and 2 rabbits.

It is a bit difficult to name all our chickens since they look so much alike lol but our french ones, we have managed to name at least one because she stands out so much (sadly because she is unwell at the moment) Due to her colouring, which reminds me of an English old fashioned mint; we decided to call her MINTY.

Our three turkeys are: salty, pepper and mustard. Our ducks are: smartie, raison and peanut. Our rabbits are: sixpence and tuppence.

They are our children and the mere thought of eating them is obhorant to us. We rather our hens eggs to eat then their bodies!

We have been owners of chickens for around 9 years now.

I think it is a travesty that chickens have so little respect when they give us so much.

I hope to gain incite on our family by being here and may be helping others too.

Suzanne

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Hope your hen feels better soon!

3. SuzanneW

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Thank you for your wishes.

I have posted a separate question regarding our chicken and turkey actually because we don't know what is causing our children to be unwell and could do with some advice.

Suzanne

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. cchardwick

cchardwick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hi Suzanne, welcome to the site! That looks like an old photo from a film camera for your Avatar, is that you? Whoever it is she sure is pretty!

How old are your birds? Perhaps you can post a photo and give us more details. What is their coop like, what is the weather this time of year in France? Are the birds constantly wet or in high wind?

I think the trick to eating birds is to have a lot of birds the same color so you can't tell them apart, and for sure you can't name them or you'll never eat them. Most people have the highest repsect for chickens and killing them for food is considered part of the cycle of life. I used to butcher a lot of my chickens until I found out I could sell them for more money than the meat was worth and lots of people wanted to buy them, even after their egg production diminished. Now I'll never kill one, I'll just sell it and go to the supermarket and pick up some fried chicken!

I have a flock of Rhode Island Reds and I think they are the best chicken money can buy. In fact I've started to breed them and sell the chicks. It's one of the funnest hobbies I've ever had. Here are my babies, one rooster and 18 hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC form northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. SuzanneW

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Why thank you so much for the compliment - yep that is me - but I cheated as that was when I was around 22 - 23. I hate my picture taken, so that is one of the rare ones, I like and so here it is.

All our babies share the same home; they have their very own house which was originally for chickens, but my husband and I had to rebuild. I clean out their home twice a week. It used to be once, but since the new ones - I reconciled myself to the inevitable lol of cleaning more. I joke with my husband that I might as well move in, I am in there so often! The benefit is of course, they are less inclined to run away which is rather lovely.

I have actually uploaded tons of photos of them if you want to take a look.

Perhaps you can answer as to why our chickens have never had babies? We even had two cockerals at once stage, but one had to be put down and yet never any babies!!!

Thanks for welcoming me.

Suzanne

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello Suzanne, we hope your chicken starts feeling better really soon! Best wishes from Kentucky, USA!

[​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] I hope you will join us in the duck section [​IMG]. What breed were your cockerels? How old were they? Did you try incubating the eggs or did your hens just never sit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by