Hello to all and Seasons greetings.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Avianator, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Avianator

Avianator New Egg

Dec 9, 2014
    Hi i would like to say All the best for the New year to all members.

I started keeping my own chickens in March this year. Since this time i have had 1 chicken fight off an attack from a staffordshire bull terrier. She broke her leg, I knocked her out and splinted it with some broken pencils and surgical tape. She is now fine walking around with a slightly odd gate but happy and one of my best layers. :D

I have had another trap her foot in the gate which made it bleed badly. I cleaned the wound with TCP and put a plaster on it. I secured it with surgical tape too.

That chicken started to get hen pecked badly and now they leave her alone due to the TCP perfume i put on her.

I have found melon is excellent for helping chickens recover it gives them food and water at the same time. You can also sprinkle any antibiotics on it and the melon soaks it up.

I love my chickens they are like pets that give back. I play them classical music in there shed. And they seem very happy.

Happy new year

Avianator. :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Seasons greetings to you too! Sounds like you have had an eventful start to your chicken keeping. Pleased to hear they are on the mend. Chickens really are animals that give so much back. Be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone here to help. Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have got it all together taking care of your flock!! Melon is an excellent way to get water into them and keep their blood sugar up if they are sick or don't want to eat. Thanks for sharing your stories!!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC and season's greetings to you too! You're doing well with your birds. That's interesting you play music for them, I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing that before but like the idea a lot.

Nice to have you join us and I look forward to reading more stories about your birds!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

You have come to the right place to find others who keep chickens as pets. Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

9. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Hi! Welcome to BYC and glad you joined! So sorry about all the injuries you've had since you started keeping chickens :( Kind of a rough start, huh? Good to know about the melon! My chickens like pumpkin and squash and they LOVE melon! But I never thought about using it to administer medications. Great idea!
    My chickens out in the barn get country music and my house chicken gets classical music!! I started running a radio to keep the predators out of the barn and found out that my hens liked the music! So I leave it on for them.
    Peace on earth and goodwill to all!

spitfirecream15

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry that you've had some troubles with some injuries to a couple of your hens, but it sounds like you did a good job in getting them healed up and going again. I've been raising chickens for 50 years, and I've never heard of using TCP perfume on a chicken to protect it from being pecked by other members of the flock. It just goes to prove that you're never too old to learn. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by