1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

hello to all.please answer this question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hamzaahvalli, Jul 24, 2013.

1. hamzaahvalli

hamzaahvalli In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi,I used to let my chickens free range but now kept them in a coop since 1 year.but after stopping free range,they no longer get broody and eat their eggs.I filled an egg with hot chilly sauce that's I myself can't bear but their still ate it.I removed the egg laying hen from the coop hoping it will become broody due to privacy and availability of space.how can I prevent the egg eating and get them broody

2. 20736

20736 Songster

Jun 6, 2012
    Activity like egg eating and feather picking can be indicators of overcrowding.
    Could that be an issue with your birds?

3. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Hens go broody on their own schedule, there is no way to make them go broody. There is a nesting box called a roll away box, it's on an incline so when the egg is laid it rolls away from the chicken preventing them from eating the egg. I would post in this thread for more information: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying good luck to you!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. hamzaahvalli

Jul 24, 2013
    Thank you very much.I don't think overcrowding is a suspect,we only have 6 chickens but thanks for the thought

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe they are just bored after the wild life of free ranging. Do you have an area in their run where they can dust bathe? You could hang up a head of cabbage so they can peck at it and amuse themselves. If the run is large enough give them a few different items they can explore - like a little chair or stool they could perch on, or a large branch they could use as a daytime roost. For a special treat you could get some crickets at a pet shop and turn them loose in front of the chickens - they would get the chickens to exercise and to use hunting skills .

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

9. hamzaahvalli

Jul 24, 2013
    Will debeaking work

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're thinking of debeaking, IMO you have a serious management issue. You say you only have 6 birds, how much space do you have? Debeaking may stop them from eating so many eggs, but probably won't stop them from breaking them, and definitely won't make them go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: