Hello to all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by catlady58, Mar 18, 2011.

1. catlady58

catlady58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I have been a happy chicken owner? mistress? caregiver? for a year now. I started with 6 RIR and 6 Barred Rock hens. Lost one to illness at about 3 months. The eggs have been great and the "show" has been very funny.

My question is: My new babies (8 mixed Buff Orps) are 2-3 weeks old and look awful. They eat well and drink well, and are pretty active, but their feathers look awful. Either they have some terrible disease or they are getting their grown-up feathers already? I truly don't remember the babies last year looking so bad!

Any advice, consolation, or reassurance you might give would be gratefully received.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! It's nice to meet you! As for the look of your chickies, they're starting into that strange phase when they start getting their real feathers, and they'll have a straggly look to the feathers and will start getting the "gawky teenager" look very soon! [​IMG] Gotta love those babies! [​IMG]

5. catlady58

Mar 18, 2011
    Thank you crtrlovr! I keep thinking if it were something bad they would be dead.

6. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Welcome! Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

8. TiffyG

TiffyG Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Concord, GA
    Hi, if you want to take a look at my BYC page, there are some pictures of my bantam Cochins at 2-3 weeks of age. They were kind of ratty looking too. It didn't last long though. Now they are slick and beautiful! Hope this helps!

9. MsBrown

MsBrown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Medina, OH
    [​IMG]

10. catlady58

Mar 18, 2011
    Thank you, TiffyG. Your pictures make me feel better. Mine look a lot like yours except they are gold. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by